47 WORKSHOP STARTS SEASON

PERFORMANCES OF TWO PLAYS TO BE GIVEN ON DECEMBER 8 AND 9.

The 47 Workshop will inaugurate its fifth season with two performances on December 8 and 9 at Agassiz House. The bill includes a one-act fantasy, "Will-o'-the-Wisp," by Miss Doris Halman, and a farce-comedy in three acts, "The Colonel's Connupence," by Miss Katherine Clugston. Both authors are in the advanced course in playwrighting, English 47a, at Radcliffe.

The curtain-raiser gives the Workshop producing forces a good opportunity to display their abilities. In the long play Miss Clugston has depicted life in a Southern Indiana town. The play is replete with local color and the author has filled the three acts with much humor.

This is the fifth season of the 47 Workshop, and at present it is more valuable than ever as an aid to the courses in playwrighting. English 47 and English 47a. Professor Baker is carrying on this very important work under restricted conditions, although the acquiring of Lower Massachusetts Hall as a rehearsal room facilitates the housing of the Workshop equipment.

The Workshop will produce only original plays this season, the object being to discover the faults of these plays, promising as they are, by actual production before a critical audience. Now that the Toy Theatre of Boston has abandoned its policy of amateur productions, the 47 Workshop will be the only successful organization in Boston or vicinity devoted entirely to the production of plays written and acted entirely by amateurs.