COLLEGE THROUGH THE MAILS

As time goes by the facilities for obtaining a higher education are becoming less difficult. Even the prolonged preparatory training and the bank account are unnecessary, and many an ambitious man earns his way through four years by doing some of the various tasks at hand in a college town.

Today the field is being enlarged still more. Men who have not the time to go to college may take a correspondence course and have the college come to them. The University of Wisconsin is notable among the institutions which provides such training. Through its Extension division one may take courses that are available to resident students, and a surprisingly varied body of people have responded to this plan. Among those listed is a locomotive engineer, who, having finished beginner's Latin, is going on with advanced work for pleasure. Railway clerks, men in mining camps, lawyers and doctors, ministers and court reporters are fellow students. A girl who gives her occupation as tub mending is deep in the translation of Virgil. Instructors of science and mathematics feeling that their training has been too specialized are studying Latin, and Catholic sisters are taking courses to improve their teaching. Evidently under such a system many people, heretofore unable to receive a liberal education, are being helped and they vindicate the introduction of this progressive method of teaching.