ENGINEER CORPS FORMED

Technology's New Volunteer Squad Will Start Work Today Under Captain Downing, U. S. A.

The new Technology volunteer engineer corps will begin work this afternoon on a purely voluntary basis. President Maclaurin, of the Institute, has submitted the present plan for carrying out the work of the corps as a substitute for the program laid out by the War Department for such a corps. The work, according to this plan, will consist of two hours a week, the first to be devoted to theoretical instruction, the second to practical work. The Engineers' Manual as issued by the War Department will be the text-book used. No official uniform will be worn by members of the corps until the decision of the War Department on the corps' reduced schedule is received. The field equipment necessary for the course has been issued by the War Department through Captain Downing, U. S. A., who has charge of the corps. Sophomores make up a large percentage of the membership of the course.

Eight Games on Eli Basketball Trip.

The Christmas trip of the Yale basketball team this year provides for eight games. The team will go as far west as Buffalo, and will also have an opportunity to meet the Navy. The trip will last from December 22 till January 3, with a week's intermission for Christmas.

Two of the games will be played in Brooklyn, and one each in New York, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Harrisburg and Annapolis. On Friday, December 22, C. C. N. Y. will be played in New York and the Crescent A. C. at Brooklyn the next day. The team will then scatter until after Christmas when they will meet at Buffalo on January 2 to play the University of Buffalo. The next day the team will meet Syracuse, and Rochester on the 4th. On January 5, they will play the All-Stars at Harrisburg, and will go on to Annapolis on the sixth to meet the Navy. The team will return to New York on the seventh and will complete its tour the following day by a game with St. John's at Brooklyn, returning to New Haven in time for the opening of college on January 9.

Amherst Musical Clubs to Tour.

The Amherst Glee and Mandolin Clubs will leave for a short tour through New Jersey on November 29. Two concerts will be given, the first on the evening of November 29, at Mountain Lake, and the second one at Montclair on Thanksgiving night. The programs to be rendered will be very similar to those of last year, in that the singing of Amherst songs will be an important item.

Charles E. Courtney, for 33 years coach of the Cornell navy, and a man recognized as "dean of American rowing coaches" was given a celebration on his 67th birthday. As a coach of Cornell rowing Mr. Courtney has been most successful. Under his direction 49 races have been won out of a total of 72 starts.

As an individual oarsman, his work was just as phenomenal. When he was 19 years of age he entered a single scull race in a boat made by himself, which weighed over 80 pounds. Yet he won the race by a distance of more than a half-mile over his nearest competitor. This race marked the beginning of 88 successive victories as an amateur. Then he became a professional, and started a series of 46 contests marred only by seven defeats. An unfortunate sunstroke in May, 1879, ended his competitive career.

Brown Defeat "Help" to Team.

In an article in the Yale News, M. Sweeney, advisory coach of the Yale football squad, says that "the Brown defeat should help, not hinder the team."

He wrote further, "The most serious problems which confronted the coaches and players at the beginning of the season were the elimination of faulty fundamentals on the technical side of the game and the upbuilding of a new spirit of hard work and rigid discipline on the moral side.

"The response to hard work was very satisfactory, but on the technical side of the game the coaches found it more difficult to restore the fundamentals. The work is not yet completed, but it is conceded by almost every man who has followed Yale football for the past half dozen years that there has been considerable improvement in this respect.

"It is questionable how the student body will be affected by the loss of the Brown game, but judging from the spirit of the players it is reasonably certain that the defeat will be a help rather than a discouragement. It has only served to quicken their perseverance and determination."