FLEMISH ART

The Flemish paintings now on exhibition at the Fogg Art Museum form one of the most notable collections which have been brought together at Harvard. They follow the history of the art of Flanders from the beginnings of the Renaissance until it was superseded by Italian ideals in the middle of the sixteenth century. There are examples of nearly every Flemish master during this period--Mabuse, van der Weyden, Memlic and their contemporaries. These pictures compare interestingly with the Italian artists in the same room. The Southern painters strive for idealism and for decorative perfection. The Flemings care more for reality and are at their best when they get away from the conventional religious subjects; in their backgrounds, their portraits, their attention to detail, Flemish art is admittedly the best in Europe from 1400 to 1550, and no one should fail to see this unusual exhibition before the 29th of November, when it closes.

Professor George Harold Edgell '09, of the Fine Arts Department, will hold a conference on the paintings this afternoon at 3.30. These conferences are always interesting and valuable. They attract art-lovers from all parts of the state. A little information learned in this way will add greatly to our appreciation of every form of painting.