Victorious Party Must Bring New Era.

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSO:

I was greatly impressed the other day at the forum debate between the Harvard Democrats and Republicans by the Fact that the second speaker fo the Republican Club brought out in one of his arguments the mistake which the present administration committed upon its accession in not offering any encouragement, not to say protection of co-operation, to the group of American bankers who had just succeeded with no, little difficulty in securing for American an equal share in the loan syndicate of the great powers in China. Ex-president Taft has put it will when he said in the Yale Review: "It was leverage by which the United Sates could prevent the acquisition of undue power over, that people by any of the great nations, and could secure justice to China and the maintenance of its integrity." American has always stood for the "open-door" policy in China. In fact it was American who first made known to the world of her intentions in regard to that policy But lately she appears to be deaf and blind to the rapid changes that are being brought about in the Far East. Does it not seem that American has not seem that American has ignored the fact that she has already assumed the responsibility of being a world power? It seems to me that she has time and again been looked upon by the Orient and by the Occident for relief and support. And i believe that when the present world-conflict ends, probably at the close of the next two years, the belligerent nations will again solicit the help of American to act as a mediator. Then, and not till then, she should take a firm stand in shaping world affairs.

This is no longer the nineteenth century when American always tried to keep to herself. The twentieth century is characterized by world-wide competition in trade and commerce. Why has England been at war with Germany? Is it not for commercial supremacy? At the termination of the war, I venture to predict that the competition in the world maker will be felt more and more keen, not between England and Germany but between American and the victorious party. Also I venture to predict that the busy market will be found in China, whose untold resource have long surprised the whole world.

At this golden juncture, then, American should not let nay opportunity slip by, and it will greatly depend upon the government to lend a hearty support to her own capitalists in their attempt to establish "a relation that would enable the United States to have an equal voice with the five other powers in guiding the development of Chin" and "to maintain the open door in her trade with that country." At the same time she will be doing the Chinese people a great service which I can assure any and every American they will never forget.

No matter what party wins at the coming election, it is my sincere wish and urgent hope that the victorious party will usher in a new era and will be instrumental in bringing America to the Fore in such a way that her words will be respected both by herself and by other nations.  F. C. SZE