PREDATORY HUMOR

A great annoyance to readers of library books is to find margins and type itself covered with humorous inscriptions. There seems to be a species of inexpensive humor which delights in ornamenting books that other men must use. Perhaps these significant underlinings, obliterations and witty marginal notes are put down in a spirit of self-exploitation. If so, the budding jokers would serve their own ends better by accompanying each brilliant jest with their signature.

It pays to advertise!

Recommended Articles

Public Library Target of Attack
Charging that religious inscriptions on the walls of the Cambridge Public Library breach separation of church and state doctrine, an
A Neverending Task
Halloween’s just around the corner, and to get into the spooky spirit, FM hiked to Mount Auburn Cemetery. A series ...
Tanning on Campus: Love It
Ground Breaking New Fuel Cells Developed
Materials scientists at the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences have developed the first macro-scale thin-film solid-oxide fuel cell, potentially serving as a new source of clean energy.
Scientists Preserve Historic Statue
Though the carvings on the 27-ton marble stele nestled between Boylston Hall and Widener Library have begun to fade, a team of Harvard researchers have set out to digitally preserve this inscription commemorating Harvard’s 300th anniversary.
Hey Professor! Infinite Jest
Andrew Warren, Assistant Professor of English, has taught English 90we: “David Foster Wallace and Environs,” a class that plays special...