COMPETITION FOR TOPIARIAN CLUB TROPHY ENDS TONIGHT

Judges Will Make Award for Successful Problem Submitted in Landscape Architecture.

The annual competition for the Topiarian Club Trophy, which has been under way since last Monday when the problems were given out, will close this evening at 10.30 o'clock. At that time the drawings will be due. The competition is open to all students of the Graduate School of Landscape Architecture who are taking Landscape Architecture 2 and Landscape Architecture 3. The drawings which are due tonight will be judged on January 5 by a jury composed of Professor J. S. Pray '95, Professor H. V. Hubbard '97 and Professor F. L. Olmstead '94, and the announcement of the winner will be made on that day. First, second and third places will be awarded by the jury, and the winner of first place shall have his name inscribed on the trophy, of which he shall have custody until the next competition. The trophy is a cup given in the spring of 1912 by an unknown doner. This year's competition is earlier than heretofore, it having been the policy in the past to hold the contest in the spring.

The problems which are given out are accompanied by topographic maps of the ground to be dealt with. This year's problem for which the drawing must be rendered in color, follows:

"In an old town on the coast of New England there is a fine avenue of elms reaching from the shore in the centre of the town, back to a hill which lies on the outskirts of the town. In the slope of this hill, practically on the axis of the avenue, there is a spring near which there was signed a treaty between the first inhabitants of the town and the Indians, by which the lands of the town were acquired by the white men. This spring and the land about it has been in private possession for many years and the land is still well forested and much in its original state. The present owner wishes to donate to the town a portion of this land, including the spring, as shown on the accompanying topographic map, together with a sufficient sum of money, and he wishes competitive designs for a treatment of the area as a memorial to the founders of the town. It is suggested that the memorial take the form of a sculptural or architectural treatment of the spring with a suitable backing of planting or architecture, all in a setting of planting appropriate to the topo, and the conditions.