THE CHRISTMAS SERVICES

However much Christmas may signify to children as a time of gift-receiving, and to college students as a period for idling and waxing fat on the delights of the home kitchen, yet its inner and true meaning should in no way be forgotten.

The service at Appleton Chapel this evening and tomorrow offers a chance for men in the University to pay tribute to the day. Whether a man is religious or not; whether he believes in the divinity or humanity of that man whose birth is celebrated, he should be wise enough to recognize the splendor of a belief which through twenty centuries of civilization has influenced uncounted millions. No one can totally bar faith and theism from his life without suffering somewhat. Unless we recognize Christmas in its greater significance, we have failed to grasp the sprit of the time.

The musical service under the direction of Dr. Davison will be notable. The University is fortunate in offering such an opportunity for enjoyment to its students. Every man will do well to take advantage of the occasion, and thus to gain in some measure a real appreciation of what Christmas so deeply signifies.