EIGHT TO DRIVE AMBULANCES

THREE OTHERS GOING TO FRANCE IF COMMISSIONS ARE CONFIRMED.

Eight members of the University have received commissions and three others have applications still pending, for service in the ambulance corps in France. Of these eleven, eight have enlisted under the auspices of Morgan, Harjes & Co., a Paris banking house which has financed a private ambulance service since the outbreak of the war. E. T. Drake '16, M. S. Gaunt, 'And., and R. L. Moore '18 will sail from New York tomorrow on La Touraine bound for Bordeaux. R. P. Baldwin '16, and B. Williams '18 will sail on the Espagne from New York, a week from tomorrow. If their applications are accepted, J. L. Lathrop '18, P. Tison '18 and W. H. Wheeler '18 will sail on the same date. The remaining three, G. M. Hollister '18, P. C. Lewis '17 and F. P. Magoun '16, received their positions through D. D. L. McGrew '03, Boston representative of the American Ambulance Service Committee, whose headquarters are in New York. Magoun will sail on La Touraine tomorrow, while Hollister and Lewis will sail February 19.

All those just accepted have enlisted for six months, the term of service dating from the time of departure from this country. The French headquarters are at the American Hospital in Paris. Those enrolling with the American service will be detained for a short time in Paris before being sent to the front. The Harjes private service maintains no squad in Paris, with the result that those enlisting with them will be sent to the front at once.

Practically all vacancies in both services have been filled within the last month, the American Service alone sending 35 men including those sailing February 19. The Harjes service, too, has reached its limit for the time being, although vacancies are continually appearing. Mr. McGrew may be reached at the Journal Building, Boston, while the Harjes representative is C. Higginson '17, 22 Plympton street.