YALE HOCKEY TEAM WENT DOWN WITH 2-0 DEFEAT

WYLDE STARS AT GOAL

Only occasional flashes of real form were evident in the first game of the Yale hockey series played at the Arena on Saturday night, which the University won by the score of 2 goals to 0. The Crimson got away to a good start with a goal after 16 seconds of play, but after Baker scored the second goal 14 minutes later, the game slowed up and was marked, especially in the second period, by listless playing on both sides. The defence work of both teams stood out prominently. Wylde kept his record clear for the intercollegiate series, his 13 stops Saturday night bringing his total against Cornell, Princeton, Dartmouth, and Yale up to 64 without a score. In spite of the two shots that got away from him, York was the star of the Yale team, for the drives that tallied were practically impossible to stop. Wylde's work this season ranks him second to no college goal-tender in the country, with the possible exception of Ford of Princeton. Captain Morgan and Doty were invincible on the defence, and they also played an aggressive game from their positions. Murray and Bierworth, the Yale backs, were also successful in stopping almost every attack. Only the prettiest possible exhibition of team-work enabled the Crimson forwards to play through and score the second goal. Yale's forward line was without the services of the captain and star, Burgess, who is a fast, aggressive player. His absence was certainly felt; but Jacob, who took his place at rover, played a good game, proving to be Yale's strongest offensive factor. Percy played his usual fast, hard game for the University. The wing pairs were about evenly matched. Thacher played effectively, but both the University wings lagged a little behind the centres.

Percy and Baker Scored.

The playing was in Yale's end of the rink most of the time, but little margin of superiority was visible. Yale secured the puck at the whistle, but Doty took it away from Jacob and carried it down the rink. He was body-checked by Murray, but Percy recovered the puck, whipping it past York into the cage just 16 seconds after the game started. Captain Morgan started one of his dashes a few minutes later and got around the defence, but York stopped his shot. Then Baker took a perfect pass from Percy, and his drive was true, but York made another pretty stop. A mix-up near the Harvard cage gave Yale a chance to tally, the puck sliding across in front of the net, but Armour couldn't quite reach it. Shortly afterwards the puck slipped out of a mix-up to Gould's stick, but Wylde's pretty stop prevented a goal. Finally Thacher got the rubber away and took it down the ice, passing to Percy as Bierworth loomed up in front of him; Percy passed to Baker, who drove it past York for the second goal. The time was 14 minutes 11 seconds. The game slowed up perceptibly after this, and was ragged until the final whistle blew.

Both Teams Lost Chances.

The second half was very slow, both teams repeatedly loosing chances to shoot. After a couple of minutes of play, Jacob broke loose and got safely inside the defence, but Wylde came out and made a beautiful stop. From then on the puck was scrimmaged up and down the ice with few shots at the net. In the last few minutes Coach Winsor sent in the second-string players to freshen the University's attack, but no more scores resulted.

The game was free from roughness of any sort, but marred by frequent forward passes which delayed the play. No penalties were inflicted, and there was very little of the hard body-checking that was expected.

Harvard and Yale meet again in the New Haven Arena on February 26, and the University seven plays the St. Nicholas team, with Hobey Baker, next Saturday.

The summary:

HARVARD,  YALE.Rice, l.w.  r.w., ArmourBaker, l.c.  c., DickeyPercy, r.c.  r., JacobThacher, r.w.  l.w., GouldDoty, c.p.  c.p., MurrayMorgan, p.  p., BierworthWylde, g.  g., Yor