MARKED PROGRESS SHOWN IN REPORT OF RED BOOK

1918 Introduced Individual Pictures Besides Increasing Circulation and Profits.

The report on the 1918 Red Book shows that gains have been made in every department over the publications of former years, and particularly much larger financial returns. The circulation was increased from 450 sold copies of the 1917 book to 1100 actually sold copies of last year's Freshman Red Book. This has benefited the advertisers, as it has meant a wider circulating medium, and it has helped the college by the copies of a representative Harvard publication being spread over more of the country, the books being sent to the various Harvard Clubs and to preparatory schools. The increased number of books in circulation was made possible by the requiring of every candidate to turn in at least five outside subscriptions.

Last year's Red Book Board started the innovation of individual pictures of every member of the class, which will form the basis of a comparison for later years in connection with the individual pictures in the Senior Album. They also established the precedent of turning over the remaining money, which in this case amounted to about $335, to a fund to be known as the "Senior Album Fund." As the Senior Album carries no advertising, this will make a useful basis to start the Album on, which has hitherto suffered by the lack of necessary money to support it at the beginning.

The total accounts, which have been prepared by H. H. Silliman, business manager, and ratified by the chairman, are as follows:

Credits.Advertising,  $1,810.00Subscriptions,  1,385.25Interest,  7.94Balance due on advertisements,  30.00  $3,233.19Expenditures.Printing,  $2,233.31Engraving,  291.06Postage,  29.53Stationery and Supplies,  6.42Board Banquet and Theatre Party,  285.41Expenses of board members,  53.55  $2,899.28Total Credits,  $3,233.19Total Expenditures,  2,899.28Balance,  $333.9