PEACE PILGRIMAGE OUTLINED

D. E. Hudson 1L. Relates Experiences of Student Voyageurs on Board the Oscar II.

The CRIMSON has asked D. E. Hudson 1L., a member of the International Polity Club, who accompanied Mr. Ford on his recent peace pilgrimage, to write an account of the experiences of the students who took the trip. Mr. Hudson left with the other members of the party on board the Oscar II on December 4. They were taken first to Kirkwall by the British and Mr. Hudson was the only member of the whole party who succeeded in penetrating into Germany. After seeing the German consul at Copenhagen he got a special letter which admitted him into the empire.

He at first got into difficulties with the German police, but the affair was later straightened out. He went to Berlin, where he saw Ambassador Girard and several of the high military officials. He obtained entrance to the Reichstag and to an exhibition of all the trophies that the Germans have captured during the present war. After his trip through Germany Mr. Hudson succeeded in rejoining his fellow pilgrims at the Hague.

His account of the part played by students in the expedition follows:

Activities of Students.

"'Why did Henry Ford take the students along with him on the Peace Expedition?"

"This question has perhaps puzzled many students other than those who have come to me and asked it. Mr. Ford, himself, did not answer it, and I shall not try to do so. I shall, however, attempt to relate briefly the activities of the students and their connection with the Expedition, and leave it to the reader to draw his own conclusions as to the purpose which Mr. Ford had in view in taking with him a group of forty students from almost that many colleges and universities scattered throughout the United States.

"Though the students were not, 'voting' members (those having a vote in the election of the members of the American delegation in the final neutral conference), still they did form a vital part of the Expedition itself. The students were the first to organize. They not only participated in the regular meetings of the party, but they had their own student meetings both on the ship and in all of the capitals visited. In each of the countries visited the American students were always received most cordially by the foreign students, and many joint meetings were held. At such meetings the greatest interest was shown, and there were the most enlightening discussions.

Large Meeting In Christiania.

"In Christiania, Norway, the largest and most enthusiastic meeting was at a banquet given by the Student's Association, of Norway to the Ford Peace Expedition. Addresses were given by members of the Ford Party and by the most prominent Norwegians. At the banquet a gift by Mr. Ford of $10,000 to the Student's Association of Norway was announced, which should go toward the erection of a new Association building. One of the Norwegian delegates, chosen as a member of the final neural conference to meet at the Hague, is a Harvard graduate.

"In Stockholm, Sweden, several joint meetings were held. We were given receptions by the Swedish students. They also took us on sight-seeing trips to many interesting places, such as the King's palace, to the Stadium where the Olympic games were held, and on tobogganing and sling trips.

"The Danish students in Copenhagen showed much interest in our mission and heartily joined us in our efforts towards an exchange of ideas. At one of our meetings with the Danish students a most interesting discussion on the armament question was held. Though no public meetings were allowed in Copenhagen, still much enthusiasm was aroused in a meeting held by the Student's Free-Thinking Association, which was addressed by both American and Danish men and women students. A dinner was given by our own party to the Danish students who came from distant parts of Denmark solely for the purpose of attending.

Students Feted In Holland.

"Similar meetings and dinners were held in The Hague, Holland, with the Dutch students who gave us a most hearty welcome and active co-operation. Because of our short stay in The Hague, our activities were not so numerous there as in the places previously visited.

"In our party of students were representatives of International Polity Clubs in about ten Universities. Though no definite plans were formulated, considerable propaganda work was done among the foreign students along the line of the International Policy Club movement which is spreading rapidly among American universities and colleges. We often found, among the foreign students, a hearty response to the idea of some sort of World Federation of Students.

"In conversation with one of the foreign students, the question arose as to why we had been brought. This student drew for himself three conclusions, which to me seemed most appropriate and which I deem it not improper to quote:

"'Because of (1) the broadening, enlightening, and inspiring influence which the American students would experience; (2) the bringing to the foreign students the mission of peace; (3) the influence which students, both American and European, would exert in the future.'"