MEMBERS OF DRAMATIC CLUB TO PRODUCE SPRING PLAYS

Adoption of Undergraduate Coaching System Marks Important Advance for Actors.

In the production of the four one-act plays that compose its bill this spring, the Dramatic Club will depart from what has hitherto been the policy of the club in regard to professional coaching of its plays, and the entire production will be in the hands of undergraduates. The coaching will be done by a committee headed by J. W. D. Seymour '17 and N. B. Clarke '16, both of whom have had a wide experience in amateur theatricals both in Cambridge and Boston. As usual the scene designing, lighting and costuming will be carried out entirely by the members of the club.

This is by far the most radical step that the club has as yet attempted and should it prove highly successful, will probably become an established policy for the future. It is fully in keeping with the progressive ideas that have governed the club since its inception in 1908, when it was the first undergraduate dramatic organization in the country dedicated solely to the production of original plays. Another departure from the established traditions of collegiate theatricals and one which caused considerable comment at the time, was the introduction of girls for the female roles. The wisdom of this step has been more than justified by the increased excellence of the club's productions.

Professor G. P. Baker '87, Graduate Adviser of the club, approves of the idea, and it is expected that this step will be merely a preliminary to the scheme of affording those candidates who fail to make the club on the acting and producing ends, and opportunity to demonstrate their ability by giving private performances for the benefit of club members only. Temporary double casts have already been partially selected and the active work of rehearsing began yesterday.