MASTER OF WOOD ENGRAVING WILL SPEAK IN FOGG AT 8

Timothy Cole's Subject will be "The Analogy Between Engraving and Painting."

Mr. Timothy Cole, the veteran wood engraver, will lecture on "The Analogy between Engraving and Painting" in the large lecture room at Fogg Museum this evening at 8 o'clock.

Mr. Cole, now sixty-four years old, has spent his entire life on the art of wood-engraving. Now the once flourishing school of American wood-engravers has dwindled to but two: Mr. Cole and Henry Wolf. The names of the other craftsmen, famous throughout the land in their time: Kingsley, King, Church, and Kruel, are forgotten by the present generation.

Timothy Cole was the master of the art. He was born in London in 1852, but emigrated to the United States when five years old with his father. Burned out in the Chicago fire, he returned to New York penniless. He had been apprenticed to his trade at sixteen and in New York he had little difficulty in finding work with different periodicals. Mr. Cole's connection with the Century Magazine which he has never completely severed, began in 1875 when the late Alexander W. Drake called him into the service of the magazine, then called Scribner's Monthly.

In 1883. Mr. Cole went to Europe to engrave the Old Masters, finishing the first Italian series in 1892. He followed this success with series on Dutch and Flemish paintings, and later, English, Spanish, and French. He is now engazed on Old Masters in American public and private galleries.

He has been awarded many medals for the excellence of his art, at expositions in Chicago, Paris, and St. Louis. He has also been the recipient of a number of honorary memberships in academies and societies in various parts of the world.