DEBATING TRULY COMPETITIVE.

The results of the triangular debates last night show the vitality of debating as a field of competition between the three eastern rivals, Princeton, Yale, and Harvard. Some years ago it was the University's habit to win with fair regularity; and, even with the divided honors of recent years, the University still leads its two opponents in total number of victories: Harvard has won nineteen debates against Yale to Yale's seven, and thirteen to Princeton's nine. Since the triangular system was established in 1909, however, the score has been more even, but with the University still leading. The total victories stand Harvard 9, Princeton 7, Yale 5. And in championships Harvard has won 3, Princeton 2, and Yale 1.

The records for the last four years, however, show a very even division of honors. This year is Princeton's; last year belonged to Yale; the year before was a three-cornered tie; and the year before that saw Harvard's last championship.

These varying figures have some interest in showing that none of the three universities has anything like an undisputed lead in this field, but they are not to be taken too seriously. The thing of importance is the thorough, sane, and intelligent manner in which these eighteen undergraduates discuss the important questions of the day,--in a style far different from the "oratorical" contests of the Middle West. There are persons who think debating is in some mysterious way a corrupter of the youth who take part in it. Such persons take it too seriously. It is certainly an intellectual contest which sharpens the wits and whets interest in current questions, if not, as one critic has said it is not, a "training for public life."

Since debating has been restricted to undergraduates it has drawn a more varied assortment of men. But there is still room for a wider recognition of its value. And it is getting to be Harvard's turn at the championship again.