DIVERSE MILITARY TRAINING

Preparedness Movement in Eastern Colleges Operating Along Widely Divergent Lines.

Military instruction is now being given at Yale and Dartmouth, as well as at the University. Pennsylvania has secured the names of over 400 men to form the nucleus of a battalion, and a series of lectures on military training is being given at Princeton. The sort of instruction given varies in all cases, however.

At Yale, an artillery battalion and an aero corps have been formed, and such military training is not counted in the curriculum. It was intended at first to organize but one battery of field artillery. However, 437 men applied for enrolment the first day applications were permitted, and this number had increased to over 900 within the next week, when it was deemed best to organize four battalions. Since the strength of the Connecticut National Guard is limited, but 486 men could be enrolled. This was 46 men under the number comprising the minimum strength of four batteries. Systematic training was begun March 1. The Yale batteries will be permitted to use service ammunition, provided each one of them has qualified three officers and twenty men as gunners. Plans have been completed and funds are being raised for the construction of an armory at Yale Field, which it is expected will be ready for use next fall.

At Dartmouth, training began a week ago, with a drill in wall-scaling. While primarily an infantry battalion, there will be a corps of 20 men who will study camp sanitation and similar subjects. It is expected to form a wireless unit in the signal corps also. A canvass of the college shows a proportion of three men opposed to two men unopposed to incorporating military instruction into the curriculum of the college. Outside drill and target practice will be taken up after the Easter recess, and arrangements are now being made for the construction of rifle ranges of 1000, 500, and 300 yards.

Besides regular infantry drill at the University, there is a half-course in military science open to Juniors and Seniors who have attended one of the summer military camps or completed a year's service in the Militia. This half-course is counted towards the degree.