DEAD OR SLEEPING?

"What is the matter with the Forum?" a few of its friends who remember its better days are asking. Is it completely deleted, or has it merely crept into a safe hole until the winter blows over. If the latter, then it is high time--if one may mix the metaphor--for the prince, in the person of the new President of the Speakers' Club, to awaken the sleeping beauty with a kiss. A Californian in the Law School recently wrote to his Alumni Fortnightly that Harvard students take a keener interest in public affairs than do western students. Undoubtedly Harvard undergraduates have this interest; but it does not seem to find its way to organized expression and debate through the established machinery. There are live subjects a-plenty just now. The submarine question, the Hay army bill,--the ever-present topic of socialism,--the prospect of Marjorie's ever obtaining her battleship while she is still young and pretty enough to draw the dimes of the admiring readers of the Tribune,--all of these offer opportunities for heated debate. With the co-operation of the special interest clubs a rousing spring Forum is still among the possibilities.