PASTEUR MEDAL AT STAKE

First Trials for Annual Debate to be Held on May 8.--French Moroccan Policy Subject.

The first trials of the annual debate for the Pasteur Medal will be held on Monday, May 8, and the second trials on the following Thursday, May 11. The subject this year is "Resolved, That the policy of the French in Morocco during the present century has made due allowance for the rights of other European nations." Candidates should come to the first trials prepared to give a five-minute speech on either side of the question. All undergraduates are eligible. At the second trials ten-minute speeches will be allowed, while at the final trials men will be permitted to speak fifteen minutes.

This prize for debating was founded in 1898 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in the form of a medal "to be awarded to the successful contestant in an annual debate on a subject drawn from contemporary French politics." The medal, which is of gold, has an intrinsic value of more than $100.

The debates for the Pasteur Medal are usually held in the winter months, but this year, as well as last, due to the fact that the medal comes from France, the war has delayed the trials. The debate is carried on under the auspices of the French Department and the Debating Council. Members of the French Department will act as judges.