NINE TRIES TENTH STRAIGHT WIN

TEAM OPPOSES FORMIDABLE HOLY CROSS AGGREGATION THIS AFTERNOON.

The University baseball team will meet Holy Cross in the first of a two-game series on Soldiers Field this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Last year the University took both games of the series, but only after two ten-inning struggles, and with the increased strength of the Worcester nine this season, today's initial contest should prove a hard and interesting one.

Holy Cross defeated Yale last Saturday 2 to 1. The team boasts a steady and reliable pitcher in Donnellan, a well-trained infield, and a trio of outfielders of more than average hitting prowess. Norton, the shortstop, is one of the most brilliant players in college baseball, while Bowen, in center field, has done the bulk of the nine's spectacular work at bat.

Whitney will probably be in the box for the University, as he has not worked in an actual game since he shut out Virginia on May 4. He opposed Holy Cross in the second game last year, and won, 2 to 1, allowing only four hits. If, however, Coach Mitchell decides to use his pitchers out of turn, either Garritt or Mahan will be available, with the chances in the favor of the former.

Since the 11 to 8 defeat at the hands of Catholic University on April 20, the University team has taken nine straight games, three of which were shut-outs. Today it will have to put up its best brand of ball to keep the record clear.