REPRESENTATIVE OVERSEERS.

Although the election of Overseers is still some weeks, off, it is none too early to begin a consideration of the qualifications of the candidates for office.

In making a choice of these men, several factors deserve careful thought. Chief among these are a man's personality and the service which he can render the University while in office. Moreover, since men from all walks of life come to the University to study, the Board of Overseers should represent as equally as possible not only the business and professional classes, but the academic as well.

Even a cursory glance at the list of nominees for election this June shows plainly that over emphasis has been laid upon capitalistic representation--too few names from the academic and professional fields appear. And since there is this over-representation of the capitalists among the nominees, the probable result of the elections will be an equally unbalanced board. Such a result, while perhaps not in itself disastrous, cannot fall, in the long run, to be deleterious to the University. Harvard is not, and has never been, solely a rich man's college. The University is, above all, cosmopolitan in its character. To direct the course of study and conduct of such a body, the governing board should be as nearly representative of all classes as possible.

Even thought it is too late to change the present list of nominees, the choice in June ought to be made with particular attention to this point.