FIRST CLUB CREWS SWAMPED

INVITATION REGATTA COMMENCED WITH EXCITING RACES YESTERDAY.

The second annual Invitation Regatta began yesterday afternoon and continued until about 4.30 o'clock when the competing eights swamped. This happened in the third event of the day's rowing, when the two first club crews, Eliot and Thayer, raced. They started at the Cottage Farm Bridge and were just below the Harvard Bridge when they sank because of the rough water. Thayer had, however, crossed the line one-half length ahead. All the oarsmen were picked up by the John Harvard and a Metropolitan Park Police launch.

The first scheduled contest was between the second school four oars. Wind conditions made it difficult rowing and the shells were tossed about considerably. There was some confusion as to the finish line, for the stroke of the winning Noble and Greenough crew at the sound of the launch's warning whistle before going under the bridge apparently thought the race over and stopped altogether. He noticed his mistake at once, however, and in a final drive increased the lead, crossing the line one length and three-quarters in the lead. Brookline High School was second, with a lead of one length over Huntington.

The summary:

Second School Fours.--Won by Noble and Greenough; second, Brookline High; third, Huntington. Time, 6 min. 7 3-5 sec.

Junior Fours.--Won by Institute of Technology; second, Tufts 1st; third, Tufts 2d. Time, 6 min. 34 3-5 sec.

Club Crew Eights.--Won by Thayer; second, Eliot. Time, 5 min. 40 1-5 sec.

University Crews Raced.

The University crew yesterday afternoon had two brushes with the second in which the Junior eight beat them both times. Crew B showed excellent form in their get-away, jumping into the lead with a racing start superior to the first boat. The Freshman also had a spurt with University A and the 1919 men came out best. The rest of practice consisted in the regular pulls which have made up the schedule of training for some time past.