INADEQUATE COACHING.

Unmistakable signs of distress have appeared in the field events in the two track meets this spring. In the Yale meet Harvard had one competing entry in the high-jump to Yale's four, in the pole-vault three competing entries to Yale's five, and a similarly disgraceful showing in the shot-put. If a college of three thousand students can produce only seven men eligible to compete in three field events, there is a remedy needed somewhere.

In this statement there is no criticism of the present coaches, but of the system which allows the men in the three events already mentioned only one day's coaching a week. By the present arrangement the coach of the Worcester Academy track team comes to Soldiers Field one afternoon a week to coach these men. Particularly in the field events daily practice with constant, individual coaching, is the only policy which can turn out point-winners in the meets. It is only by regular work and continual coaching that second and third place men can be developed. But these necessary point-winners will never be developed under the most favorable conditions, if the available men for the field events continue to spend their time in arm-chairs instead of on the field.

Furthermore, there is little incentive for the mediocre athlete to practice daily when all the coaching he can expect is that given by a more experienced undergraduate. Let the Athletic Committee offer adequate coaching and the candidates for these events will tend to increase. When the winning of track meets is at stake, the Athletic Committee certainly ought not to question an additional expenditure for adequate coaching.