COMPULSORY MEMBERSHIP NEEDED

The need for a fuller understanding among undergraduates of the problems which confront the Union is the reason for the postponement of the vote which was to have been taken today on the question of compulsory membership. In an issue of this sort, involving as it does what virtually amounts to a raise in the tuition fee, the most careful consideration of the facts in the case is necessary.

The report of the special committee of the Student Council, which investigated this question a short time ago, recommended compulsory membership as the only solution of the present difficulties. The Union holds a place in the University which cannot be filled by any other organization. With the proper support, its usefulness could be made much greater. Without support, it is only a question of time before it must close its doors. Hence the real issue is whether the Union is to continue its existence, and grow into that place which Major Higginson intended it to fill when he gave the money for its erection; or whether it is to be allowed to go to pieces, and stand as a memorial of shameful ingratitude to one of the University's greatest benefactors -- Major Higginson.