FIRST CREW BROKE EVEN IN PRELIMINARY RACES

Beaten by Princeton in April, but in May Defeated Cornell Crew on Charles.

The University started its spring rowing with a squad nearly as large as that of the Freshmen, the number totalling just short of a hundred. The machine work was begun immediately, but the line-up shifted continually for some little time before an order which would be anywhere near permanent could be decided upon. Finally the following was settled on: Stroke, C. C. Lund '16; 7, H. B. Cabot '17; 6, Captain D. P. Morgan, Jr., '16; 5, T. E. Stebbins '17; 4, Moseley Taylor '18; 3, J. Talcott '16; 2, K. B. G. Parson '16; bow, A. Potter '17; coxswain, H. L. F. Kreger '16.

First Outdoor Work at Lynn.

This eight remained intact throughout the machine practice. When the oarsmen went to Lynn for their first out-door work it was found that Talcott at three was better than Cabot at number 7 and so the two changed places. This was found satisfactory and the stayed thus for some time. In the beginning of April weather conditions favored their returning to the river and this they did, holding regular practice until they went down to race the Princeton oarsmen in the Easter vacation. In one of the closest races seen in this country, as Professor Noyes put it: "A most extraordinary race," they lost by 6 inches. The result of this contest was to cause quite a radical shift in the crew. T. E. Stebbins '17, who had been at number five, came right out of the boat, as did K. B. G. Parson '16, at number two. They were both dropped to the second eight where Parson remained until he was forced to give up rowing altogether by order of the crew doctor. Stebbins remained in crew B ever since. Captain D. P. Morgan '16 went from six up one peg to the number four position. J. Talcott '16 went back to number three and Cabot to five, H. A. Quimby '18 coming out of the second boat to take the number seven oar in the University eight. J. C. White, 2d, '17 also came up from the Junior eight to fill the place left by Parson at two. Moseley Taylor '18 took the captain's oar at six.

Ithacans Vanquished by 1 1-2 Lengths.

The river was used daily after this until the Cornell race. In the meantime, however, Cabot and Talcott had once more swapped, the former going to three while the latter took the vacancy at five. Moseley Taylor had also been forced to retire on account of a bad finger which had become infected. H. S. Middendorf '16 took his place. The crew order which faced Cornell was as follows: Stroke, C. C. Lund '16; 7, H. A. Quimby '18; 6, H. S. Middendorf '16; 5, J. Talcott '16; 4, Captain D. P. Morgan, Jr., '16; 3, H. B. Cabot '17; 2, J. C. White, 2d, '17; bow, A. Potter '17; coxswain, H. L. F. Kreger '16. In this race the University was victorious by a length and a half. Nevertheless it showed some weaknesses and though no changes were made, the coaches took the University on long rows by itself and put it into short scraps with the other boats in order to correct the trouble. Taylor came back but was put into the second crew where he remained until the next radical shift which was made on the day of arrival at the training quarters at Red Top. Cabot took bow, forcing Potter into seven in the second boat. Captain Morgan moved up one more peg into his last year's and more suitable seat, thus forcing White down to the second also. Morgan's place at four was then taken by Taylor. Talcott went up to number three which had been vacated by Cabot. A. Coolidge made his first appearance in the University boat at this time. He had been showing beautiful form and his balance was also excellent. The order thus made has been again broken into by the illness of Middendorf. White came back to four and Taylor moved into six. This present order is: Stroke, C. C. Lund '16; 7, H. A. Quimby '18; 6, M. Taylor '18; 5, A. Coolidge '17; 4, J. C. White, 2d, '17; 3, J. Talcott '16; 2, Captain D. P. Morgan, Jr., '16; bow, H. B. Cabot '17; coxswain, H. L. F. Kreger '16.