GOOD RECORD FOR ELI YEARLINGS

Three Victories, and Defeat by Cornell in Preliminary Events.

The Yale freshman crew this season has been very successful and is distinctly above the average. The boat this year has met the first eights of Princeton, Cornell, and Annapolis, and has defeated all of these crews with the exception of Cornell. In the spring regatta the freshmen also defeated the strong Springfield High School crew by eight lengths.

Coach Abbot considers this year's 1919 eight up to the standard of any first year crew which Yale has had, although he recognizes the strength of the Harvard yearlings, who have had a better record since they decisively beat the Cornell freshman eight. At the beginning of the season the coachers experienced much difficulty in weeding out the material for an eight which would keep up the standard set by Yale in the crews which have been sent to New London in former years. The crew was decided on about the middle of April as follows: Stroke, Soderston; 7, Mead; 6, Page; 5, Park; 4, Beebe; 3, Vail; 2, Ewing; bow, Wier; coxswain, Underwood. Since this selection very little shifting has been done.

The freshmen left for Gales Ferry the same time as the university squad did, and faithful work has been done there ever since. Much credit is due to the second freshman eight, which has acted as a trial horse for the first crew all season.