POLITICAL PASSIVITY.

With the advice of numerous orations, odes, and sermons still ringing in their ears the Seniors supposedly are prepared to solve any problem the world may present. The dominating theme of all this advice has been one of service and loyalty to this country of ours. The martial atmosphere of Europe and the present war could which hangs over the Mexican border have influenced young men to believe that the army and navy present the only opportunities to serve one's country. In times of national danger the method of service is undoubtedly clear. It is during "good times" when business is booming and prosperity seems eternal that a different kind of service is needed. It is a service which requires political activity instead of political passivity.

Every man who graduates this year is fitted to enter into such a service for his country. A few have already decided and many more, let us hope, will soon decide to enter the game of national politics. To see that this game is played fairly and that the goal is a world-respected country and a powerful government comprises a work of greatest honor. The majority who take up business careers should regard the interest and time given to politics as part of their recreation. Much enjoyment and many friends may be gained in the political arena. No democracy, and particularly this cosmopolitan republic, can hope for a prolonged, healthy existence without the constructive thought of its educated members being actively applied to the solution of its successive problems.