YALE CREW LOST BOTH ITS EARLY SEASON RACES

Men Chosen for Stamina Handicapped in Short Races on Schuylkill and Cayuga.

The Yale rowing season began last fall with the regular practice of two university boats, which continued until cold weather set in. Contrary to former years no fall races were held, and the entire time was spent on conditioning the men. Spring practice opened with full blast in February, when indoor work was commenced for the university and freshman squads. The size of the university squad was about the same as usual, but a greater number of freshman candidates reported than ever before. Weather conditions were the poorest of all years this season, and the indoor work was continued until April, which was the earliest time that the crews were able to get on the harbor for out door practice.

Longer Stroke Adopted.

One great problem has presented itself to Coach Guy Nickalls this year, in that the increased weight of the oarsmen has made necessary the adoption of a lengthy stroke, whereas last year a sprinting stroke was used up until the final workout before the race at New London. The first regatta of this year was held with Pennsylvania, and in this Yale's inability to get going so as to finish up with sufficient speed was clearly shown. The first crew was defeated by several lengths, although the second eight came through with a victory. Coach Nickalls made a thorough overhauling of the boats, and regular practice was continued until the last of May when the triangular regatta was held with Princeton and Cornell.

By this time the order of the first crew had been determined on as follows; Stroke, Harriman; 7, McNaughton; 6, Fitzpatrick; 5, Sturtevant; 4, Meyer; 3, Captain Low; 2, Gilfillan; bow, Hadley; coxswain, McLane. In the triangular regatta Yale was completely outclassed by Cornell, who came back within a week after a defeat by Harvard to put it all over both the Yale and Princeton crews. After the loss of two races Coach Nickalls got very busy with the shifting and completely reorganized the first boat. After several days of waivering the following changes were made as permament: Whittlesey was brought up from the second crew and placed at 2; Sheldon now held down 4; Kositzky took Fitzpatrick's place at 6; and a new stroke was brought into the boat in the person of Lawrence.

Frequent Changes at Gales Ferry.

The crews left for Gales Ferry on June 3 in order to start a final preparation for the dual battle with Harvard. The large number of 29 oarsmen was taken on the camp list, since the coach felt anything but certain as to the final lineup of the crew. The Gales Ferry practice has of course been very beneficial to the Yale crews, as well as good fun for the oarsmen, for here strenuous work was done to get at the main faults of the boats and speedy remedies were applied. A week or so at Gales Ferry proved conclusively to the coaching staff that three more changes were necessary before the first crew was the ship she should be. These changes were made as follows. Harriman was brought to bow in place of Hadley; Sturtevant and Captain Low exchanged places of 5 and 3 respectively; and the veteran coxswain McLane was replaced by Lasher, for it was thought that a lighter man would be more desirable in the stern.

Since this last overhauling, nothing more has happened in the way of shifting on the first crew. The crew has yet to show its true calibre, for imperfect shell equipment has been one of the main causes for the poor preliminary record of this year. A new and heavier Davy shell was brought into use about the first of June, and this should overcome any such handicap. The crew, as has been said, is a heavy one with the emphasis in development placed on staying power. The defeats by Pennsylvania and Cornell have not shaken the confidence of the coaches in the first crew's ability to row a creditable race against Harvard tomorrow.