CROSS COUNTRY SQUAD AT WORK.

Good Material Being Developed in Early Season Practice.

The cross country squad, which reported this week, is made up largely of veteran material with some of the most promising runners the University has had in several years. This means that the track team should be strengthened considerably in those events in which it has been weak before, the mile and the two-mile runs.

The University is fortunate in being able to draw from a strong freshman team of last year. J. D. Hutchinson, '19, of Dorchester, captain of the Harvard yearlings in 1915, was the individual winner of all the races in which he participated last fall and led his team to an easy victory over the Yale freshmen. The other runners who placed in the Harvard-Yale freshman meet are E. H. Kelton, H. E. Small, J. M. Greene and J. B. Hopkins.

E. A. Teschner, '17, captain of the track team, has been at Soldiers Field watching the runners and making notes of the material that may be used for his team in the long distance events this year. Among the men out now who look promising for the varsity track team are James Coggeshall, '18, R. H. Davison, '17, G. A. King, '18, E. H. Kelton, '19, J. M. Greene, '19, and J. H. Townsend, '17.

Other experienced runners, who are expected to report to Coach Shrubb this week or Monday, are R. W. Babcock, '17, H. R. Betchel, '17, R. S. Cook, '17, C. J. North, '17, W. P. Whitehouse, 2d, '17, H. D. Carpenter, '18, C. W. P. Heffinger, '18, C. C. Bassett, '19, J. B. Hopkins, '19, J. D. Hutchinson, '19, C. W. Lippitt, '19, H. E. Small, '19, C. S. Swan, '19, G. H. Tilghman, '19, and R. T. Whitehouse, '19.