NEW COURSE LACKS STUDENTS

PLEA MADE BY CAPTAIN CORDIER AND MAJOR-GENERAL HUGH FOR MEN.

Over one hundred students met in New Lecture Hall yesterday afternoon at the first meeting of Military Science and Tactics I. This enrolment is scarcely large enough to assure the course a huge success in its co-operation with the Reserve Officers' Training Corps movement and Captain Constant Cordier laid great emphasis on the necessity of those who were interested in the welfare of the preparedness movement at the University bringing more undergraduates into the course. For every hundred men who engage in this work, the government will detail a non-commissioned officer to assist in carrying out the technical instruction.

Captain Cordier gave a clear explanation of the aim and purpose of Military Science and Tactics I, saying that the value and the future of the University's part in this time of national need rested with the earnestness and enthusiasm with which this course was received. The minimum amount of work which must be done is three hours a week in class or field work, while the amount of outside study is up to the individual. During the winter the greater part of the time will be spent in study and the solution of problems, but in the spring there will be marches, skirmishes, etc. A man upon graduating from this course may take the examinations to enter the regular army or the reserve army, provided he has also kept up his work with the Reserve Officers' Training Corps. If he is successful he will receive at least a commission as second lieutenant.

"Harvard's part in the Civil War," said Captain Cordier, "is enough to inspire any man, for of the enormous number of officers and privates which were furnished, only one received a dishonor- able discharge. With conditions such as they are today, you must do your part, and the only way in which you can do that part well is to be thoroughly prepared and to know what you are about."

Major General David Douglas Hugh '92, of the Massachusetts Militia, also addressed the meeting and, he using the University's military record, also appealed to those present. He emphasized strongly the disastrous results of indifference to our present needs and quoted the instance of the Brandenbergs to prove his statements. "You read the daily papers now with the accounts of what our boys are doing down on the border and the whole thing seems to be one continuous, serial bellyache. I don't know whether these stories are all true or not, but if even a portion of them are true, it only goes to show that even the training those boys have had isn't enough. You must go into this thing thoroughly. Spirit is valuable, but spirit isn't enough. Unless the thing is done well we shall have to say there is no good in it."

Owing to the late date at which this course in military science was announced, permission has been given to extend the last day of enrolment to October 3. Except in the case of Freshmen, no previous actual military experience will be required, but it will be taken for granted that those in the course are familiar with general military matters. Anyone who wishes further information about this work should call at the office, Weld 3