HIGHBROWS

Professor Johnston once remarked in a history course that ours was the only country since the Roman Empire in which the possession of intellect was considered a reproach. He alluded, of course, to the sneer which always accompanies the word "highbrow". It is a condition which should cause us serious reflection. One of the faults of a democracy lies apparently in the fact that while education is more widely diffused its quality is somewhat diluted. High scholarship is not honored in America as it is abroad. Other countries recognize the attainments of their learned citizens by some particular distinction: England by knighthood, France by membership in one of the famous learned societies. Efforts have frequently been made here to establish some such governmental honor, but Congress has always considered it out of harmony with the principles of a democracy.

As a result the few non-educational societies which aim at a recognition of learning are unofficial. The American Academy of Arts and Letters, for example, although its honorary president is the President of the United States, and although its publications are printed at governmental expense, is in no way responsible to or connected with the government. So the Academy can rely only on popular appreciation of its high purpose. Its efforts should appeal to all patriotic Americans who desire that our savants should command the same respect as those of foreign countries. One might expect that this effort would arouse the enthusiasm of intelligent citizens and the support of a powerful press. But it was only the other day that a prominent mid-Western paper referred to a session of the Academy as a meeting of "highbrows."