UNIVERSITY ACQUIRED HANCOCK COLLECTION

Group of Over Two Thousand Specimens of Ore Received by Museum of Mineralogy.

The University has been the successful bidder among many institutions on a collection of minerals, regarded by scientists as one of the finest lots of specimens ever assembled by one man, representing the life-work of the late Elwood P. Hancock, of Burlington, N. J. Being a talented artist and cabinet carver by profession, he increased the attractiveness of the specimens by working out the natural crystals on the face of ore.

With the addition of some foreign specimens obtained by Mr. Hancock, the collection embraces more than 2,000 pieces, almost entirely native to the state of New Jersey. Mr. Hancock covered every section of the state in his search, and discovered a new mineral, to which his name was given by the Museum of Natural History of New York. Many of the finest specimens were obtained in the vicinity of the zinc mines at Franklin Furnace, N. J.

The specimens arrived in Cambridge two days ago and are now being unpacked under the supervision of Professor J. E. Wolff '79, curator of the Museum of Mineralogy, who said that this group would supplement the famous Albert F. Holden collection which came into the possession of the University three years ago. The original collection of minerals which the University started some time in 1874 is the oldest among American colleges.