PATENT OFFICE POSITION OPEN

Examinations to be Held in Boston on January 17, 18 and 19.

The United States Civil Service Commission has announced an open competitive examination for assistant examiner in the Patent Office on January 17, 18 and 19, 1917, at the postoffice, Boston. After the register of eligibles resulting from this examination, certification will be made to fill vacancies as they may occur in this position at the entrance salary of $1,500 a year, unless it is found to be in the interest of the service to fill any vacancy by reinstatement, transfer or promotion, anyone over 20 years of age who is a citizen of the United States and who meets the requirements being eligible.

Competitors will be examined in the following subjects:

Physics, embracing a general college course; mathematics, including one or two questions in algebra, plane and solid geometry, trigonometry, analytic and differential calculus; technics, covering the general field of mechanics, industrial arts and processes, and applied chemistry; inorganic chemistry, qualitative analysis and elementary organic; French or German; mechanical drawing.

The examinations will be divided into three parts of six hours each. The first two subjects will be given on January 17, the third and fourth on January 18, and the fifth and sixth on January 19.

Applicants must be examined in the state or territory in which they reside, and must have been domiciled there for at least one year previous to the date of the examination. The county officer's certificate in the application form must be executed.

Persons who meet the requirements and desire this examination should at once apply to the United States Civil Service Commission, Washington, D. C.