A COSMOPOLITAN ADVANCE.

The plans of the Cosmopolitan Club to make foreign students feel at home in Cambridge show a progressive policy. It is the intention not only to increase the friendship between men from other lands, but also to enlarge their knowledge of Cambridge and the vicinity. A natural tendency for foreigners in a new country is to group together. The Club now aims to make this group more sociable and to link it with American activities. We believe that this will benefit the club as well as its members from afar. Such action shows a commendable determination to make this institution more serviceable and foreign students more at home.

The University will likewise benefit from such a policy. We encourage men to come here from other continents. What these men think of Harvard, and what impressions of this college they give to their peoples depends much on how they are received here. If the welcome is hearty and they are convinced that we want them, our reputation will gain. The Cosmopolitan Club is assuming the pleasurable task of proving this. The function of the club is more than to receive strangers and to entertain them it is to spread abroad the fact that Harvard wishes to be cosmopolitan.