YALE WINS

We had hoped that our Freshman eleven would once again prove the futillty of football "dopesters," but this year these prophets came into their own. They had been telling us for about two weeks that the Yale freshmen were our superiors. We had been laughing up our sleeves at them during these same two weeks. These athletic Elijahs foretell correctly with such infrequency that we scarcely regret their success this year, for if they were never right we should cease to take them even half seriously. We do regret, however, that their success was realized through the efforts of a certain educational institution which is located at New Haven. If there is any rival in the world whom Harvard loves to beat, it is Yale. Up to last fall that love had been indulged with great regularity. Last year Yale had a much better team in every respect, so we were defeated and we wept, but we could not chide. That history of last fall has repeated itself. The Yale freshmen were a superior team, and they proved that superiority in four quarters of a football game last Saturday. There were a few moments when it seemed as though the Crimson, remembering its former--invincibility, was about to score, but even the most enthusiastic of us realized that this was due to the individual performance of one backfield man. We refer to Humphrey. Five or six Eli antagonists were as nothing to this man, and that he will make splendid University material in years to come, provided the trench work is finished, is unquestionable. Likewise Captain Faxon stuck to his post on the line and worked every second of the game. He may feel that he led his men as a captain should have done and that failure was not due to any flaws in his generalship. Yale happened to be the better team two years in succession, a thing which upperclassmen believed impossible.