COPEY'S READING

The Class of 1921 is to receive its official baptism as an integral part of the University. The Freshmen have matriculated, they have gone through hour examinations, they have had a regular athletic team, but they have not heard Professor Copeland read. This evening in Smith Halls Common Room they will have that privilege, for it is a great privilege to hear or see the best. We all like to be read aloud to, and if many of us object to this sort of thing frequently it is because the reading is not done well. Professor Copeland does not only read well; he reads better than anyone else. But more than this, his remarks and his talk--please do not think he will deliver a formal lecture--are the most enjoyable kind of an intellectual stimulus. It is no easy thing to be enjoyably didactic, but this Professor Copeland is.

If the upperclassmen were not of a generous nature, they should feel bitter that the Freshmen were to be treated to the best of Harvard first of all. Some of them do experience a tinge of envy. Others there are who are wiser and have made plans. This is an era of camouflage. These sagacious upperclassmen will walk into Smith Halls Common Room tonight in the guise of Freshmen. They are powerful men, so we should like to give a word of advice to the Freshmen. If you wish a seat or even a place at Copey's reading tonight, be there early. Otherwise your big brothers will be in your appointed places.