M. MALVY

France is again in the throes of a political scandal which in more normal times would be creating a world-wide sensation. M. Malvy, for several years Minister of the Interior, whose activities had been shown up in a very bad light at the time of the Bolo Pasha scandal, and who had been subsequently accused in the Chamber of being in league with Germany, requested recently a trial before the Senate for high treason. But the Special Committee of Thirty-Three, charged with the investigation of the accused, has rejected this proposal and suggested to the Chamber that he be impeached. That such a widespread scandal could exist without some foundation seems improbable, but on the other hand it seems well nigh impossible that in any of the great countries today a member of the Cabinet should be an active traitor. It is characteristic of France that no attempt is made to conceal the offence, but instead an honest effort is on foot, in the interest of fair play, to discover the truth of the matter, and to extirpate all interests that are not working directly for the complete success of French arms.