BASEBALL WILL START FEB. 11

BATTERY CANDIDATES AND 1921 MANAGERS CALLED AFTER MID-YEARS.

According to the ruling made by the Athletic Committee at its last meeting, there will be no intercollegiate baseball games this spring, but there will be several informal games, as well as inter-battalion and inter-dormitory contests, and the usual outside Freshman schedule. Hugh Duffy, who was in charge of the University nine last year, will coach this spring not only the informal, but also the Freshman team.

The informal games will be with nearby service, professional and amateur teams. Just when inter-battalion contests will be started is uncertain, but they will be largely for the men who are not up to the standard of the two first teams. A 1921 inter-dormitory schedule of approximately nine games, similar to those of 1915 and 1916, will be started soon after the first Freshman squad is chosen.

Battery candidates for informal and 1921 nines will be called out on Monday, February 11, and will practice every day in the cage. Fielders, however, will not be summoned as early in the year as usual, since several R. O. T. C. companies are scheduled to drill in the cage every afternoon, and the time for baseball practice will be unusually limited. Owing to this fact, fielders will probably report late in March.

Freshman manager candidates will be called also on February 11. Five positions will probably be open to competition, those of manager, assistant manager and managers of the three dormitory nines. No previous experience is necessary and any men who wish to know more about the competition should speak to R. McA. Lloyd '19, Randolph 37. There will be no position of second assistant manager open to Sophomores, but any members of this class with experience in baseball management who would like to assist in the work will be welcome.