WORSE THAN SLACKERS

Suddenly a new group in opposition to Harvard prepared has arisen. It is called the Harvard Union for American Neutrality, a high-sounding, idealistic name which successfully clothes the real spirit of this unfortunate movement. This is not time to attempt further diplomatic sparring, when all diplomatic relations with Germany have been severed. This is no time to await the action of Uraguay or China, as this new league would have us do. As the strongest neutral nation the United States must be the champion of all neutrals, both the strong and weak.

We do not want war. We are in complete accond with the belief that all international questions ought to be decided through diplomatic channels and by reference to arbitration courts and boards of inquiry. But the actual situation has passed beyond the control of such remedies. This thing the pacifists forget. They look to the future, ignoring the dangers of the present time. Their means of solving international disputes may be successful in a later and happier century, but they have no force now in compelling Germany to recognize those rights we claim.

This is not the hour for philosophical theories, when the welfare of our nation is the stake of preparedness. We all desire honorable and safe peace; but that pacifism which is synonomous with passivism may not be endured.

We are sincerely in accord with one principle of the Union. "The rights of neutrals upon the seas may not be determined by one belligerent." The whole American nation believes that. This is one reason why we are arming again war.