"WHETHER IT BE PEACE OR WAR."

The latest crisis in our nation's delicate and uncertain diplomatic situation comes for the most part unexpectedly to the majority of college men. The United States has been in such positions before during the long period of the great war, and each time the bellicose have called for battle, and the pacific have prayed for peace. Each time our government has avoided the conflict with what measure of honor only the future can tell. And now we are face to face with another situation, more serious than the others it would seem. But, in reality this newest peril presages no more than the previous crises our entrance into the holocaust of the nations.

Neither the hope for peace nor the desire for war should blind us. A new crisis means an increased danger. The slightest blow on hammered rock will cause that rock to break, and how near America is to breaking only those at the head of it may know.

This is no time for Jingoes nor for those who love peace better than their souls. The "verge of war" is near us. No complaints of what might have been done in the past, no petty cavilling about the present will suffice us now. We must look only to the future, trusting in those who rule the nation to find the correct solution--whether it be peace or war.

But whatever the results of the next few weeks will be, the college men of the country are willing to do their part. If called upon to keep peace they will keep it; if summoned to war they will fight as they always have, bravely and strongly to the end.