PREPAREDNESS MAKING BIG STRIDES AMONG COLLEGES

Columbia Planning in Event of War to Grant University Equipment to Government.

Coincident with the establishment of the University's Reserve Officers' Corps, extensive plans for preparedness are being made by colleges throughout the country. In the event of war Columbia University's entire resources will be turned over to the national government. The Secretary of the Navy has approved a tentative plan, formulated by a Columbia preparedness committee of professors, whereby the university will directly enlist all its facilities to aid the Government when necessity arises. The plan includes joining the laboratories, hospitals and professional departments of the university with the Government's machinery of military and naval preparedness. A field hospital will be equipped by the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, and the engineering department will build machinery for submarines and motor boats.

Infantry Units at Cornell.

In response to the application of Cornell University, the War Department has established one infantry unit of the senior division of the Officers' Training Corps at Ithaca. This senior division will be more advanced than the University's R. O. T. C. and will be designed for men who have had two years of military training. Such training is now a graduation requirement at Cornell.

From Amherst comes the report that a new army course has been established there. Over 100 Amherst men have signified their intention of entering a course in United States military regulations and requirements under the supervision of Captain H. W. Fleet, U. S. A. By a series of short lectures and practical demonstrations there men will be prepared to pass the mental examination for the officers' reserve corps.

At Williamstown there will be regular drill. At Pennsylvania State College students who have had military training have been asked to apply for commissions in the United States Marine Corps. About 700 members of the senior class have been taking military training. At Princeton and New Haven battalions have already been formed.