SEVEN VICTORIES IN HOCKEY

Review of This Season Shows Creditable Work by Team.--Many Stars to--be Lost by Graduation.

Barring the result of last Saturday's game the hockey team of 1916-17 might have been called successful; however, that result which gave the series to Yale and divided the championship between four colleges cannot be overlooked in a review of the season.

The summarized scores of the year show that of the ten games played the University won seven. Thirty-two goals were made to a total of ten by opponents and in five games the opposing team was whitewashed. These results were forecasted at the beginning of the year by a full team composed of "H" men, with four others who played against Yale last season as first-string substitutes. An 8 to 0 victory over M. I. T. and another of 3 to 0 over Dartmouth were followed on January 20 by a defeat at the hands of Princeton in the St. Nicholas Rink in New York. Later, however, the two other Tiger games were taken and the Canadian contingents from Queen's and McGill were easily disposed of.

On February 17 the first Yale contest in New Haven was lost by a score of 2 to 0; two weeks later the University had everything its own way in the second game with a 5 to 0 victory; and then last Saturday's defeat by a 2 to 0 score put a sudden end to all hopes of an undisputed championship.

With the loss of Captain Morgan, Eckfeldt and Appleton, H. K. White '19 is the most promising candidate to pair with Thacher on the defence. The veteran goal keeper, Wylde, finished a remarkable career with a total of 103 stops to his credit. A. R. Martin '19 is the logical man for his position next year.

In the forward line G. A. Percy '18, who will again be eligible, was the greatest scoring power on the team both this year and last, nine goals being caged by him each season. E. O. Baker '17, a hard and consistent player in every department of the game, will leave a vacancy difficult to fill; E. B. Condon '18, however, has developed rapidly, and will probably take his place in next year's lineup. G. Townsend '18, right wing on this year's seven, will return, but the graduation of T. H. Rice '17 will leave a position at left wing open. W. O. P. Morgan '18 is an aggressive player to take his place.

Of this year's Freshman seven Captain N. S. Walker '20 and E. Cabot '20 were forwards of high scoring ability who should be conspicuous in the work of the 1918 squad. W. J. Louderback '20 appears a promising candidate for a position as substitute goal, and in F. C. Church '20 there are the possibilities of a first team defence man. With only seven of 15 "H" men returning, Coach Winsor may have to draw freely from this year's Freshman squad.

Summary of Games.

The summary of the team's games is as follows:

January 9: Harvard 8, M. I. T. 0.

January 13: Harvard 3, Dartmouth 0.

January 20: Harvard 1, Princeton 2 (at New York).

January 27: Harvard 5, Queen's College 1.

February 2: Harvard 4, Princeton 0.

February 9: Harvard 4, McGill 0.

February 17: Harvard 0, Yale 2 (at New Haven).

February 24: Harvard 2, Princeton 0.

March 3: Harvard 5, Yale 0.

March 10: Harvard 0, Yale 2 (at New Haven).

The goals of the season were divided as follows: Percy 9, J. Morgan 6, T. Rice 5, Townsend 4, Baker 2, Condon 2, Baldwin 1, Bright 1, Fisher 1, Kissel 1.