SHORT GAMES FOR BASEBALL MEN

Coach Duffy Instituted 3-Inning Games for Practice in Cage.

A meeting of the University baseball squad was held in the Locker Building yesterday afternoon before practice at which Captain G. E. Abbot '17 and Coach Duffy addressed the players. Captain Abbot gave a short talk on the baseball spirit and urged the men to talk and think baseball as well as play it during the entire practice. Discussions of plays among the men is especially helpful, he declared. Coach Duffy then outlined his plans of the work as it will be carried on while the squad is forced to practice in the cage. One of the features of the practice from now on will be a daily three-inning game between teams selected by the coach, and to be changed from time to time at his discretion.

After the meeting a 40-minute batting practice was given the players. The pitchers were allowed to throw only straight balls for this work. Then the nets were cleared away, the bases placed on the diamond, teams selected, and the first practice game of the season began. The teams were evenly matched and provided a close contest. Although the game lasted but three innings, the battery of team A showed its superiority by trimming team B by the score of 3 to 0. The lineup of the teams follows: TEAM A  TEAM B Harte, c.  c., Fuller O'Keefe, p.  p., Loring, Willcox Caley, 1b.  1b., Holly Abbot, 2b.  2b., McLeod Reed, ss.  ss., Kerr Murray, 3b.  3b., Burrill Casey, l.f.  l.f., Henderson Ellis, c.f.  c.f., Wiswall Wyche, r.f.  r.f, Ames