SPRING TRACK SEASON TO GET UNDER WAY TOMORROW

COMPETITION ENDS MAY 12

The spring season for the University track team begins tomorrow at 3 o'clock when all candidates are to report at Soldiers Field. Spring work for those who have been running during the winter, but are not training now, will start next Monday.

Candidates for the position of second assistant manager of the team are to report at the H. A. A. at 1.30 o'clock today. This competition, which is also the shortest of the major sport managership competitions, is the last one in which 1919 men are eligible to enter. Any Sophomore may compete, and no previous experience in either track work or managing is necessary. The successful candidate will be appointed second assistant manager of the team, and the runner-up second assistant manager of the cross-country team. Since the intercollegiates are to be held in Philadelphia this year, the competition is to be decided at the time of the dual meet with Yale on May 12.

Captain E. A. Teschner '17 and W. H. Meanix '19, who were scheduled to compete in the big A. A. U. indoor track carnival Saturday night, did not go to New York on account of the threatened railroad strike. Teschner was entered in the 60 and 300-yard events, while Meanix was to run in the hurdles and the 600.

Captain Overton of Yale duplicated his feat of a week ago, and again broke a world's record when he covered the 1,000-yard title race in two minutes 14 seconds, thereby lowering the record of Kiviat, made in 1914, by 1 2-5 seconds. Kelly of Holy Cross and McDonald of the Irish-American A. C., also established records in their respective events. The former did the 300 in 31 2-5 seconds, and the latter heaved the 16-pound shot 42 feet 7 1-2 inches.

J. G. Loomis of the Chicago A. A. equalled the world's record in the 60-yard dash of 6 2-5 seconds.