TO MAKE INVESTIGATION OF PTOMAINE POISONING

University Accepts Sum of $20,000 and Dr. Rosenau Is Assigned to Task.

The National Canners' Association has offered to the University annually for a period of three years the sum of $20,000 for the purpose of investigating the subject of food poisoning or so-called ptomaine poisoning, with special reference to canned goods. The investigation is to be carried on at the Medical School under the direction of Dr. M. J. Rosenau '14, Professor of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene.

The investigations are organized under the general supervision of the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences, of whose advisory committee Professor Reid Hunt of the University is a member.

The offer made by the National Canners Association has been accepted by the University on the understanding that the investigation shall be conducted and the results thereof published with entire academic freedom.

It is believed that the results of this investigation will be of great scientific and practical value, for there has been no comprehensive and painstaking effort to study this subject as planned by Dr. Rosenau, undertaken by any scientific institution up to the present time.