SPEEDY WORK BY RELAY TEAM IN WINTER SEASON

Won Intercollegiate Indoor Championship in Record Time of 3 Minutes 26 Seconds.

In the winter track season, officially terminated by the Meadowbrook Meet in Philadelphia on March 10, the University track team has had unusual success. The relay team won the intercollegiate championship and, furthermore, established the intercollegiate record for the mile indoors. The time of three minutes 26 seconds flat lowered by two-fifths of a second the former intercollegiate mark held by the 1916 University team, and came within four-fifths of a second of equaling the world's record for the distance. In the meets the individual performers representing the University were not so successful as the relay.

The track team took part in ten indoor meets, the most important of which were the Coast Artillery games on January 27, the B. A. A. meet on February 3, the contest between the University, Pennsylvania and Dartmouth the 17th, the Naval Militia games on the 21st, the Johns Hopkins carnival the 24th, the I. C. A. A. A. A. on March 3, and the Meadowbrook games on March 10.

Princeton Most Formidable.

The Princeton relay team was the University's most formidable opponent, winning on two occasions and losing once. But at the Johns Hopkins Fifth Regiment games, at which the Tiger relay annexed the first victory, the University team ran on a flat track to which it was not at all accustomed, and at the I. C. A. A. A. A. carnival a week later, the team's defeat was largely attributed to the fact that it was fagged out, each man having already competed in several events before the start of the Tiger race. At the Meadowbrook games on the following Saturday, however, the University won out over Holy Cross, and Princeton was forced into third place in the intercollegiate championship race. During the first of the season the relay was made up of Captain E. A. Teschner '17, W. H. Minot '17, W. Willcox, Jr., '17 and A. E. Rowse '18, in the races at the intercollegiate and the Meadowbrook games, W. H. Meanix '18 took the place of Rowse.

Dartmouth Took Triangular Meet.

In the Pennsylvania-Dartmouth-Harvard triangular meet, Dartmouth won with a total of 47 points as compared to 30 1-2 registered by the University, and 11 1-2 by Pennsylvania. The relay won the three-cornered race, W. Moore '18 and E. A. Teschner '17 took first and second in the 40-yard dash, and J. D. Hutchinson '19 won the mile.

At the intercollegiates in Philadelphia Moore and Teschner placed second and third in the 50, which, beside the relay, was the only race in which the University was entered.

The work of J. D. Hutchinson '19 in the mile races at the winter meets was particularly noteworthy, for he won two first and two third places. His best performance was in the Harvard-Dartmouth-Pennsylvania meet.