EARLY EXAMS, FOR MEN IN GOVERNMENT SERVICE ONLY

UNIVERSITY EXPECTS TO GIVE REGULAR COURSES DURING 1917-18.

In order to answer definitely the numerous queries as to the stand which the University would take in the event of an outbreak of hostilities between the United States and Germany, the following outline of the steps which have been taken in preparation for war was given out at the College Office yesterday afternoon:

"On February 12 a Committee on Military Affairs was appointed to organize and correlate all the University plans for military preparedness. The committee is composed as follows: Professor Robert Matteson Johnston, chairman; Dean Roscoe Pound, Professor Charles Jesse Bullock, Professor Richard Pearson Strong, Professor Hector James Hughes, Professor Julian Lowell Coolidge, Professor John Warren, Professor Theodore Lyman, Captain Constant Cordier, Frederick Gallup Coburn.

"No formal report by the Committee has been made to the University authorities, but the Committee has been actively at work.

"It is not contemplated that during the academic year the University will suspend its regular course of instruction. No consideration has been given to such a step and it is quite certain that it would not be adopted if proposed. It has been suggested that in the event of a declaration of war in the near future, those men who in any way enter the Government service be permitted to take examinations on their college work in advance of the regular period, their work for the year being then terminated and put to their credit. No formal decision has been reached as yet. For those students who do not enter the service of the Government, the instruction will be continued as usual.

"For the academic year 1917-18, the University is preparing to offer the same courses of instruction in all its departments as in the past. Consistent with this, the University will be ready to render such service to the Government of the United States as lies within its power. No request has been received from the Government to use the University as a training camp during term-time nor has any such offer been made to the Government.

"Just what action the University may take to be of service during the summer months is not as yet determined. After the breaking of diplomatic relations with Germany it was suggested that during the summer months only there might be established at Harvard a summer training camp utilizing the dormitories as barracks. Should the Government request the use of the University buildings during the summer for the purposes of training, it is reasonable to assume that they would be available."