SEVEN WORKS ON SMALL AREA

THOUSAND SQUARE FEET CUT OFF, MAKING ARENA SIZE OF ELI RINK.

Coach Winsor put the hockey team through a long shooting and passing drill in yesterday afternoon's practice before starting the scrimmage, sending the forwards down the ice against the defence alone, in pairs, and in fours. Although the line showed in Saturday's game that it had gotten away from slow starting the short passes were inaccurate and it was to this part of the game that special attention was given.

The scrimmage started with the first seven lined up against the third, the goal guards changing places. R. Baldwin '17 took the place of E. O. Baker '17, who was given a day's rest. During the 20 minutes of play the first scored three times, and would have ended with a considerably larger total had it not been for the work of J. I. Wylde '17 at goal. The first tally came after the entire line brought the puck the length of the rink together; Baldwin's shot went wild, but G. Townsend '18 passed out from behind the goal to G. A. Percy '18, who sent a well placed shot into the net. A few minutes later Baldwin forced through the second defence, but his shot was spoiled by Wylde, who met him in front of the cage. The second score came when W. O. P. Morgan '18, picked up the puck on a pass across the rink and shoved it in at close quarters. From this time on the game was more ragged; blind scrimmages and weak passes slowed both teams up.

T. H. Eckfeldt '17 was on the ice again, but was unable to use his stick. It is doubtful if his injured shoulder will have healed sufficiently by Saturday to permit of his taking part in the Yale game.

In order to accustom the team to the size of the rink at New Haven the managers have had constructed false sideboards four feet high, which narrow the Arena down to the requisite size, cutting off over 1,000 square feet of ice. These boards will be erected for practice every day this week.