THE CHAPMAN SCHOLARSHIP

The announcement of a memorial to one of Harvard's heroes who has fallen in the present war, in the form of an international scholarship is by far the most satisfactory solution of the problem of how best to perpetuate the name and fame of those who have made the supreme sacrifice for a foreign land. The Victor Emmanuel Chapman Memorial Fellowship is a fitting testimonial to the unselfish generosity which inspired him who gave all that he had to help in the service of France. Monuments of bronze or stone are at best only transient. But through such a memorial as this the name of one among the many members of the University who have died either fighting or working for another country as loyally as they would for their own will be made permanent.

The Chapman Scholarship is to be given annually to some deserving French student in order to enable him to study at Harvard. He will be chosen, presumably from all of France, by those French scholars who have formerly been exchange professors at the University. Provision has also been made so that, in the probable event of an increase in the principle, more than one French student may enjoy the privileges of the scholarship. In this way the Chapman Fellowship will become an additional link between the two countries and help to pay the intellectual debt the United States has long owed France. It is to be hoped that there will be more memorials such as this, which serve worthy ends as well as being evidence of noble sacrifices.