A STERN FUTURE

For the men who decide to apply for admission to the Federal camps for the training of officers there is a serious responsibility ahead of them. So many have gone to Plattsburg camps during the last few years for a pleasant summer outing that there is some danger that they will regard the next three months' instruction in the same light. When once accepted by the commanding officer of one of these camps, a man agrees to report at any camp signified and to accept any commission in the new army which is to be formed in the fall. The present conflict will not be decided in a short month or two. The young men of this country should make an immediate resolve to give themselves unreservedly to the service of the cause that their Government has championed until the enemy of human rights and freedom is convinced of its error. Since the entering of one of these camps means stern trials and responsibilities for the future, the Harvard man who makes the decision should realize what will be expected of him and should enter the game with his eyes open.

For the large number that are under the eligible age the best plan for them is to remain in the Harvard unit. When they are old enough to take a commission, they will have had three or more months of valuable training. This will enable them to become officers with a short additional term of instruction, or they will gain the maximum rank by attending the next series of Federal camps. Anyway, the succeeding weeks should not be wasted by these younger men. The country will need them later, and all the drill and instruction they can obtain in the meantime will be invaluable. Let no one be idle. The cause will need every able-bodied man before victory is won.