PRO PATRIA DONARE

Since the passing of the war revenue bills there has been evident the growth of many unfortunate objections to various sections of the measures. The theatre men are content with the raising of revenue from baseball, the baseball men with the raising of revenue from tobacco, the tabacco men with the raising of revenue from incomes. But those provisions which affect each more personally find less favor:

As a nation we are united in knowing that billions, (an inconceivable amount), must be spent for war. We are ready to rasie the money by taxes. Yet when those taxes bear home, and we are threatened with being compelled to pay our share in dollars of this inconceivable billions, war expenditures become painful and terrible.

It is true the bills for raising revenue were not scientific, nor justly and mathematically equitable, Congressional leaders have admitted that, which does not correlate that bills for raising revenue are of a custom scientific and equitable. Yet they offered the most expeditious and the most roughly fair methods of increasing our national revenue that might be devised in short time.

It is noteworthy that those who are proclaiming against the injustice of the new taxes are willing enough that young men go forth to die for the cause of the nation. Such young men are making a sacrifice beyond which man in all his generosity may not go.

Pecuniary losses may be recuperated. Life may not. Surely those who complain must feel small of heart, knowing they are unwilling to lose a bare fraction of their wealth where other less selfish men are giving their very all.